Sunday, December 6, 2009

Vibram Fivefinger KSO's and Pushing the Cold-Weather Limits

18F (9F Wind Chill) with dusting of snow on the the asphalt trail.  I'm wearing my Vibram Fivefinger KSO's with an Injinji Outdoor Series Tetrasok (Nuwool) as a liner sock.  I ran 6.5 miles in just under an hour.  Overall the run felt great, but my toes did get a little chilly.  Not uncomfortable, but I think if it got too much colder, it would be uncomfortable.

Overall, I feel pretty good about my layering system for clothes and here is what I am wearing:

Top Layers
Icebreaker Bodyfit 200 Crew L/S
Gramicci Kinetic S/S
Icebreaker Bodyfit 260 Zip L/S
Montane Featherlite Velo Windshirt

Bottom Layers
Icebreaker Bodyfit 150 Leggings
Smartwool Synergy Softshell Pants

Hat
Smartwool Beanie

Mittens
Smartwool socks

I did end up shedding the Windshirt about 2/3rds of the way through and probably should have sooner as it was lined with sweat.

News:  I have a pair of Feelmax Kuuva Boots on order and am expecting them in the next couple days.  I can't wait to give them a try and compare them to the KSO's.

No comments: