Thursday, January 28, 2010

Two 25k Spring Trail Runs on my Schedule

It's official, I am signed up for two 25k trail runs this spring and getting excited.  The two races are the Trail Mix Race Minnesota on April 17th and the Superior Trail Race on May 15th.

The Trail Mix Race is on the Hyland Lake Park Reserve in Bloomington, MN and is where I'll be doing much of my weekend training as it is the longest section of trails near my house.  It will be nice to be able to train where I will be doing my first race.  This race is commonly used as part of training prep for Grandma's Marathon which is held at the end of June in Duluth, MN.

The Superior Trail Race is held on the Superior Hiking Trail near Lutsen, MN.  The 25k race starts at the Lodge at Lutsen Ski Resort, catches the Superior Hiking Trail going to the southwest.  The race has lots of ups and downs including Mystery Mountain, Moose Mountain and then turning around at Oberg Mountain.  The irony of the route of this race is that I backpacked through this section last summer.  It was a very enjoyable, scenic section of the route which helps me look forward to running it.  It will be nice to be somewhat familiar with the course going into it.

The following book was written by a gentlemen who has run this race.  The description of the book goes as follows.  I am going to have to add this book to my must read list...

"ULTRA SUPERIOR is a true story set in the country's most rugged endurance events, the Superior Trail Races at the Superior National Forest in Minnesota. The book starts as a story of preparation, training and competition; Ending as a vision and realization lasting the ages."


No comments: